Government of India
Ministry of Human Resource Development
Department of Higher Education
Shastri Bhawan, New Delhi
Dated: 31st May, 2013.
Subject: Revision of income criteria to exclude socially advanced persona / section (Creamy Layer) from the purview of reservation for Other Backward Classes (OBCs) in admissions to Central Educational Institutions
Ref :1) OM No. 36012/22/93-Estt (SCT) dt. 8/9/1993 of Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions (Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT)
2.) OM No. 36033/3/2004-Estt. (Res.) dt. 9/3/2004 of Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, DoPT
3) OM No. 36033/3/2004-Estt. (Res.) dt. 14/10/2008 of Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, DoPT
4) OM No. 1-1/2008-U1A dt 13/10/2008 of Ministry of Human Resource Development
Attention is invited to O.M.No.36012/22/93-Estt.(SCT) dated 8th September, 1993 of DoPT which, ínter-alia, provided that sons and daughters of persons having gross annual income of Rs.1 lakh or above for a period of three consecutive years would fall within the creamy layer and would not be entitled to get the benefit of reservation available to the Other Backward Classes. The aforesaid limit of income for determining the creamy layer status was subsequently raised to Rs.2.5 lakh and Rs 4.5 lakh and accordingly the expression "Rs.1 lakh" under Category-VI of Schedule to OM dated 8th September, 1993 was revised to Rs.2.5 Iakh and to Rs.4.5 lakh vide DoPT’s O.M. No 36033/3/2004-Estt (Res.) dated 09.03.2004 and dated 14.10.2008 respectively. Vide O.M No. 1-1/2008-U1A dt. 13/10/2008 of Ministry of Human Resource Development, the Central Government specified that as per the above-mentioned DoPT O.M dated 14.10.2008, the Income limit for determining the 'creamy layer’ among OBCs shall be Rs 4.5 lakhs for reservation in admissions to Central Educational Institutions.
2. The DoPT, vide OM No. 36033/1/2013-Estt. (Res.) dt. 27th May, 2013 has now notified that the limit of income for determining creamy layer’ status amongst the OBCs is raised from Rs 4.5 lakhs to Rs. 6 lakhs per annun with effect from 16th May, 2013 and that the expression "Rs. 4.5 lak" under Category VI in the Schedule to OM No. 36012/22/93-Estt. (SCT) of 8th September, 1993 of Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions (Department of Personnel and Training) is substituted by "Rs.6 lakh".
3. Accordingly, with the approval of the competent authority, the revised expression of "Rs 6 Iakh" under Category VI in the Schedule to the OM dt. 8/9/1993 of DoPT shall be the limit of income, with effect from 16th May. 2013, for determining 'creamy layer' status amongst the OBCs foc reservation in admissions to Central Educational Institutions.
4. The provisions of this OM are in supersesseon of this Departments OM No 1-1/2008-U1(A) dt. 13/10/2008.
Deputy Secretary to the Government of India
Source : www.mhrd.gov.in